Divorce can be extremely time-consuming. To make the most of your time spent with your divorce lawyer, you need to be fully prepared for all the meetings and provide detailed answers to their questions.
This way, they can come up with the perfect divorce strategy for your case and give you the legal support you need to have a healthy divorce.
Let’s take a look at some common questions a divorce lawyer will ask you in the initial meeting.
How Should The Marital Home Be Divided?
The marital home has to be one of the biggest marital assets couples need to divide in the event of a divorce. Since Georgia is an equitable distribution state, marital properties, whether shared or personal, will be divided fairly- and fair may not always mean ‘equal.’
Equity is determined by assessing the current market value of the home during separation. Both parties can decide to sell the marital home and divide the proceeds or one of the parties can refinance the house and buy out the other party’s interest.
Regardless of how you choose to divide the marital home, you’ll need to be prepared for the following questions your divorce may ask you:
- Do you wish to keep the home or sell it to someone and divide the proceeds?
- Are your other real properties in your or your spouse’s name, or both?
- What is the mortgage vs. equity balance in your home?
How Will You Share The Custody Of Your Kids?
You need to be prepared to answer any questions related to your children, like how old they are, how many of them are there, and other basic facts about them. This can also be the perfect time to bring attention to exceptional cases like health problems and special needs that might influence custody arrangements.
You should also come prepared to discuss factors that may affect your visitation rights. Here are some questions that your lawyer may ask you:
- What is your work schedule and do you have any obligations that we need to know about?
- How do you divide child care duties between you and your spouse?
- How much time do you spend with your children?
- What kind of child custody arrangement would you like to have?
What Marital Assets And Debts You Own & Owe Respectively?
Your divorce lawyer should also be fully aware of the value of your assets and any debts you’ve incurred. You should make a list of all your assets and debts, marital and separate, that includes bank loans, stocks, cars, jewelry, electronics, etc. You should make a separate list of student loans, auto loans, credit cards, mortgages, and other such liabilities.
After you’ve provided the lists to your attorney, they may ask you these questions:
- Which of these assets do you wish to keep to yourself and which of these are you willing to give up?
- Whose name is on the debt obligations?
- Was the debt you’ve acquired used to contribute to your household?
- Did you own any of these assets before marriage and are they separate from your marital assets?
You need to be prepared for all kinds of questions to have a productive meeting with your divorce lawyer.
If you’re looking for divorce lawyers in Atlanta, get in touch with Atlanta Family Law Group LLC at 404-738-5805 to schedule a meeting with our team to discuss your divorce strategy. We can take the legal worries off your hands so you can focus on healing.